The Advancing Academic Excellence (AAE) initiative assists thirty-five high schools in four Indiana counties (Marion, Vigo, Sullivan and Knox) and Gary, Indiana as they strive to increase the percentage of students who earn college credit and/or advanced college standing while in high school.
Project directors in each high school work with their peers to implement strategies designed to increase student enrollment and success in Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, and dual credit courses.
- establish college level courses,
- provide professional development for teachers,
- actively recruit students (including underrepresented populations),
- provide career and academic guidance for students,
- promote academic rigor to increase the number of students prepared for college level courses,
- establish "extra help" programs to support students who are capable of college-level work with assistance, and/or
- provide financial assistance to help students students cover the cost of tuition and/or test fees.
The AAE Initiative is supported by the Lumina Foundation for Education.